Tartar sauce is just one of those “cooking things” that you really need to learn how to make. It’s not exotic or fancy, but the difference between bottled and homemade is so drastic that once you make it, you’ll wonder why you ever spent the money on the bottled stuff. It requires few ingredients, virtually no prep time and can be doctored to suit your tastes. I slathered this version on some salmon burgers I made the other night, but this sauce will compliment fish of any style – baked, poached, grilled or fried.
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 4 – 5 cornichons, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. capers, chopped
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Several dashes Tabasco sauce
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl.
- Fold ingredients together using a rubber spatula until everything is evenly combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.