We love Mexican food in our house, so it should come as no surprise that I make all sorts of tacos, quesadillas and burritos whenever I can. However, it’s also nice to mix it up and come up with new ways to use some of the same ingredients, which is where these Tostada Bowls come in. They feature all the great things you’d find in your favorite burrito, quesadilla or taco salad but are a bit healthier because I used ground turkey and baked the flour tortillas to form the bowls. It tastes like you’re indulging, while still being kind to your waistline. Quick, mostly healthy and a new spin on traditional favorites? Count me in!
- 1 bag boil in bag brown rice
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey (93% lean)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained
- 1 block (8 ounce) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Add oil to a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add turkey, season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Mix well and break up meat while it cooks.
- Cook until meat has browned, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tortillas in between cups on an inverted muffin tin that has been sprayed with non-sticking cooking spray, so they form bowls.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add reserved rice and black beans to turkey meat and cook, stirring often until hot throughout, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Spoon equal portions of meat, bean and rice mixture into tostada bowls.
- Top with cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream and hot sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Tagged: beans, cheddar cheese, fast dinner, Ground Turkey, Mexican, rice, sour cream, tortillas, tostada
Leave a Reply