These tacos are great for two reasons. First, they are cooked in a slow cooker, which means you can turn them on when you leave house in the morning and they’ll be ready when you come home. Second, they taste really authentic and fresh. The tomatillos have such a bright flavor which pairs really well with a little spice, corn tortillas, juicy chicken and fresh pico de gallo. It’s like your favorite Mexican restaurant right in your own kitchen – made by you!
Slowcooker Tomatillo and Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound tomatillos, (about 6 – 7), husked and quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (these come canned and are available at most supermarkets)
- 1 fresh jalapeno, stem removed
- 1 fresh serrano pepper, stem removed
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Corn tortillas
- 1 package (usually 4.5 ounce) Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, rough chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Sour cream
- Puree tomatillos, onion, garlic, chipotle peppers, jalapeno, serrano, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender with about 1/4 cup of water until smooth. Place 1/2 cup aside.
- Place chicken thighs in slow cooker and pour tomatillo salsa over the top, except the 1/2 cup you set aside.
- Cook on low for 4 – 6 hours until chicken is cooked throughout.
- Drain excess water and shred chicken. Toss shredded chicken with remaining 1/2 cup of tomatillo salsa.
- Warm corn tortillas in a pan for a seconds over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken on tortillas, top with queso fresco, white onion, cilantro, tomatoes and sour cream.
Tagged: chicken thighs, cilantro, corn tortillas, jalapenos, Mexican, queso fresco, slow cooker, Spicy, tomatillo, tomatoes
Leave a Reply