With all of the information out there regarding diets and healthy eating, I find the simplicity of the Mediterranean diet appealing. Okay, I also like the fact that the Mediterranean diet suggests red wine in moderation – how awesome is that?!? Mediterranean-style cooking relies heavily on the foods that are available along the Mediterranean coast. People living in those regions consume mainly fruits, vegetables, seafood, legumes and olive oil due to their immediate and abundant availability.
The chart below explains it a little further (Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011)
Though I don’t follow a specific diet – I find Mediterranean diet style recipes right up my alley. They are mostly simple, straightforward and clean recipes that let the best ingredients shine. This roasted beet salad is great if you are trying to follow the Mediterranean diet or if you simply want to add some variety to your salad routine. Alone, the roasted beets combined with the creamy goat cheese would be too sweet, but the acidic bite that comes from the Thyme and Green Onion Vinaigrette balances it all out.
Roasted Beet Salad with Thyme and Green Onion Vinaigrette
- 2 medium size red beets, washed
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups field greens
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil and place on a sheet pan. Roast in the oven until fork tender,approximately, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine vinegar, thyme, green onion, pinches of salt, pepper and Dijon mustard. Whisk well. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, while whisking. Whisk well until all olive is added. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Remove the beets from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, remove skins. Dice into one-inch pieces.
- Combine spinach, field greens, goat cheese, yellow pepper and beets in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss well to combine.
- Garnish with walnuts.
Tagged: goat cheese, healthy food, healthy recipe, mediterranean, Mediterranean diet, mediterranean style, roasted beets, salad, vingaigrette
Leave a Reply