My wife and I are expecting our third child at the end of May, which is where the inspiration for this recipe came from. With this pregnancy, my wife has discovered that pretty much anything she eats gives her heartburn. So, it has been challenging to find meals that don’t aggravate it. I came up with this recipe because we both love pasta, but I knew a traditional marinara sauce would ignite a fire in her throat. But, making a traditional marinara and cooling it off with a little rich and velvety cream allowed us to enjoy a yummy pasta dish, without a side of Tums. Best of all, I got it on the table before our other two kids caused us their own brand of heartburn.
Ravioli with Parmesan Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 package (9 ounce) refrigerated cheese or meat ravioli
- Heat oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add onions and garlic and sauté 3 – 4 minutes until softened.
- Add tomato sauce, basil, oregano, parsley, sugar and pinches of salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package instructions, reserving about a 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese into the sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings, as necessary.
- Stir in pasta and toss to coat. If sauce is too thick, thin with a little of the reserved pasta cooking water.
- Plate, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Tagged: cheese, comfort, fast, marinara, pasta, ravioli, tomato sauce, weeknight
Leave a Reply