Here I go again – giving my ice cream maker a workout in one of the coldest months of the year. I had a few items in my fridge that were rapidly approaching their “best if used by” date. So, I once again turned to a creamy, frozen treat in spite piles of drifted snow staring at me through my kitchen window. But, sincem y last post was all about rich and decadent homemade ice cream, I decided to lighten things up a bit and make some frozen yogurt. The method is almost exactly the same as ice cream and the results are just as delicious!
Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries, unsweetened and thawed
- 4 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pour milk and sugar into a medium sized bowl. Whisk until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Puree strawberries in a blender until smooth. Using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth, strain the seeds from the puree. Discard the seeds.
- Add strawberry puree, vanilla yogurt and vanilla extract to milk and sugar mixture.
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Turn ice cream maker on, pour in mixture and churn for 25 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from ice cream maker and freeze until ready to eat.
- Remove from freezer and let soften for 15 minutes on the counter before serving
Tagged: frozen yogurt, ice cream maker, strawberry, yogurt
Leave a Reply