Oh my gosh! It’s been months since I’ve posted! I vowed to myself that I’d stop commenting on that and just let this blog be what it is – a collection of my recipes – with no strict rules of how often and when I post. But, it still bugs me when I go this long without posting because I truly enjoy these posts and I have tons of recipes to share! I made this vegetable and pasta dish last week when my wife was really under the weather. She was hit with strep throat and was craving some healthy-ish comfort food. I took a look in the fridge and saw the carrots and cauliflower. At first I thought, you don’t often see those two vegetables in pasta dishes, but it turned out to be a really delicious combination! I made a quick butter, garlic and cheese sauce and dinner was served! I love when dishes like this come together. I had no intention of cooking that night so I love when I’m forced to use the ingredients on hand in a creative manner. This dish is a great one to add to your weeknight dinner routine!
Carrot and Cauliflower Penne
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 box of penne pasta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add about a teaspoon of salt. Once the water returns to a boil, add carrots and cauliflower.
- Cook for 5 – 6 minutes until vegetables are softened but not mushy.
- Drain and set vegetables aside.
- Bring pot of water to boil again, adding a teaspoon of salt once it is boiling. Once the water returns to a boil, add pasta. Cook according to package instructions, about 8 – 12 minutes for al dente.
- Drain pasta.
- In a large pan melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic.
- Saute garlic for 1 – 2 minutes until softened being careful not to let it brown.
- Add carrots and cauliflower.
- Season with 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and pasta. Toss well until some of the milk is absorb into the pasta.
- Add Parmesan cheese and toss again.
- Remove from heat, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Tagged: butter, carrots, cauliflower, garlic, milk, parmesan cheese, pasta, penne
Leave a Reply