I call this quiche “weeknight” quiche because I use store bought pie crust. It cuts the preparation time in half and if you buy a good brand such as Pillsbury, the quality is excellent. For weekend brunch quiche, I almost always make my own crust, but after a day of work, feeding, bathing, reading to and putting two young boys to bed – the last thing I have time or my wife has patience for is cutting butter into flour. The ingredients in this quiche are pantry staples in my house (and yours too, I hope!), so even if you come home with no idea of what to make, I’m pretty sure you can find these or variation of these ingredients to put together this recipe. Feel free to use whatever veggies you want, just be sure to saute them to draw out the extra moisture. Cheese types are totally up to you as well.
Bacon, Swiss and Mushroom Weeknight Quiche
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 white button mushrooms, stems removed, cut in half and diced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 store bought pie crust, fitted into a 9 inch glass pie plate
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add oil to a small saute pan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, season with pinches of salt and pepper. Saute for 4 – 5 minutes until tender and golden brown. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl toss bacon, mushrooms and both cheeses together. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk eggs briefly and then add half & half. Season with pinches of salt and pepper and whisk well to combine.
- Layer cheese, mushroom and bacon mixture in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set and crust is golden brown.