I love this twist on traditional vegetable lasagna. The assembly is much faster and everyone will love getting their own little pillow of cheesy-veggie-noodle goodness. This recipe can be may a few days ahead of time and popped right into the oven when you get home from work. Even better, check out the video below from my Instagram account, “FitChefChicago,” and see for yourself just how easy these are to assemble.
Vegetable Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets (bite-size pieces)
- 10 ounce bag baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 12 dry lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in floor until smooth and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil and whisk, until slightly thickened, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese until melted. Season with pinches of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot of medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté until onion is softened, about 2 minutes, being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Add broccoli and spinach; cover and cook until broccoli is softened and spinach is wilted, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and crushed red pepper to a large bowl. Whisk in egg and then add the broccoli-spinach mixture and about 3/4 cup of the cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to evenly combine everything. Set aside.
- Bring a lot pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add lasagna noodles and cook until just al dente, about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with water and pat dry. Layout in single layers on a large cutting board or sheet pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and ladle half of the remaining cheese sauce into the pan.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the broccoli-spinach mixture at one end of each noodle. Roll the noodles around the filling and place seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 35 minutes until bubbly, cheese is melted and everything is hot throughout. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.