I made this tilapia the other day when my dad came over for dinner. I was looking for something fast and simple since I knew I already had the tilapia in my fridge. I went into the pantry and noticed a bunch of unused hard taco shells. I decided those shells would make the perfect crispy and crunchy exterior on the tender and flaky tilapia. I ended up baking the tilapia and serving it topped with vinegar laced cabbage slaw, tucked into corn tortillas and drizzled with the lime-chipotle crema for fish tacos. However, this recipe is just as good as main course served as is with the lime-chipotle crema.
Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
- 6 – 8 hard corn tortilla taco shells
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 tilapia filets
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle, from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced cilantro
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Pre-heat to 375 degrees.
- Place taco shells in a re-sealable plastic bag, seal and crush using a meat mallet or rolling pin, until broken down into coarse crumbs.
- Add cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to a small bowl. Mix well.
- Season the tilapia with some of the spice mixture.
- Place flour, eggs and taco shell crumbs onto separate shallow plates or pie tins.
- Season flour with a few pinches of the spice mixture.
- Dredge each filet into, the flour, shaking off excess, then the egg and finally the taco shell crumbs. Press taco shell crumbs evenly onto each filet.
- Season the filets with the remaining spice mixture.
- Place fish on a lightly oiled sheet pan and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until fish flakes easily.
- Meanwhile, whisk sour cream, chipotle in adobo, cilantro and lime juice in a small bowl. Whisk in a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste, adjust seasonings as necessary and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Remove fish from oven and drizzle with chipotle-lime crema. Serve immediately.