My wife asked me the other day why we haven’t been eating as many soups this winter as we did last and frankly, I wasn’t sure why. I love a big pot of soul-warming soup as perfect end to a weekend or as a quick weeknight meal. There are so many different variations of soup to make and most times, it can be really healthy. Therefore, I made this quick and satisfying Three Cheese Tortellini and Spinach soup the other night to satisfy our soup craving. Pillow-soft, cheese filled tortellini combined with baby spinach and Parmesan cheese – it’s hearty, it’s delicious and it’s fast. Can’t go wrong with those three adjectives.
Three Cheese Tortellini and Spinach Soup
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (9 ounce) refrigerated 3 cheese tortellini (I always use Buitoni)
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme and spinach and sauté 5 – 8 minutes until spinach is wilted and vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add stock and heat for 10 minutes until hot throughout.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add tortellini. When the tortellini float to the top, you know they are done.
- Taste, adjust seasonings as necessary. Put into bowls and garnish with a little more parmesan cheese.