This bean recipe is here just in time for your next tailgate. How could you go wrong with heat, sweet, steak and bacon? I’m not even a huge fan of baked beans, but this recipe has converted me. Cook up a big batch of these ultimate baked beans for kickoff on Sunday!
Steak and Bacon Baked Beans
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 pound skirt steak, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 Serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle in adobo peppers, minced
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, with liquid
- 1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans, with liquid
- In a large pot over medium heat, render bacon until just starting to crisp, about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add steak, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, until just starting to brown.
- Add onion, jalapeno, serrano, garlic and chipotle in adobo peppers. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes until slightly softened, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes, until steak is very tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.