When I set out to make this recipe the other night, I was not intending for it to end up on my blog. However, I really liked how everything came together and wanted to share it with you all. The only problem was that I hadn’t been taking pictures throughout the cooking process as I normally do. So, this post will be slightly different than my usual. I took a picture at each step of assembly of my Southwest Steak Bowl. The prep is really easy, so you needn’t worry about the usual pictures missing.
Southwest Steak Bowl with Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 1/2 white onion quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 canned chipotles in adobo (not two cans; two chipotle peppers from a can of chipotle in adobo)
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (use one “boil in bag” type or 1 cup uncooked rice; it’ll yield about double)
- 2 ears of corn on the cob, cooked and kernels removed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place tomatoes, onions and garlic on a foil lined sheet pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roast for 20 – 25 minutes until vegetables are softened and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin of the tomatoes and discard.
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onions, chipotle in adobo, cilantro, and pinches of salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until all big chunks are broken up and everything is well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pre-heat broiler to high.
- Season steak with salt and pepper.
- Broil for 3 minutes each side. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- To assemble:
- Place 1/2 cup brown rice in each bowl. Top each with desired amounts corn, black beans, steak, cheddar cheese, avocado, roasted tomato salsa, shredded lettuce and sour cream.