This recipe couldn’t be easier and that’s the whole idea. When creating this recipe, I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, I just knew I really wanted all the ingredients to shine individually, while also creating a cohesive flavor. The best way I’ve found to pull this off is by messing with the individual ingredients as little as possible. I find if I buy the freshest and best, the preparation needs to be so minimal because the natural flavor of each ingredient shines so well and this recipe is no exception. I treated the salmon simply with good olive oil, salt and pepper. After roasting, I stuffed it in between bakery fresh whole grain bread slathered with a homemade garlic herb aioli and topped it with crisp lettuce and sharp red onions. And that’s it. Simple, fresh ingredients and a straight-forward approach. I think I’ve heard that phrase before somewhere…
Simple Roasted Salmon Sandwiches
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 salmon filets, about four ounces each
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- Loaf of whole grain bread, cut into four portions
- Place garlic, lemon juice, mustard and parsley in a small bowl and whisk in mayonnaise until well combined.
- Add 1/2 tsp. each of salt and pepper, whisk, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be made 2 – 3 days in advance).
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place salmon skin side down on a foil-lined sheet pan.
- Brush filets with a little bit of olive oil and season with pinches of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 – 17 minutes until salmon is cooked through and flakes easily.
- Remove from oven and let rest, covered for 5 minutes.
- While salmon rests, cut bread portions in half for sandwiches.
- Evenly spread the mayonnaise inside the bread portions, on the top and bottom.
- Add lettuce and red onions.
- Gently break the salmon filets into bite-size chunks and evenly distribute on the sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.