I love this recipe because it allows me to combine two of my favorite things: grilling and sandwiches. Often times in the summer I suffer from BBQ burnout. And it’s not even real BBQ burnout – it’s more like, grilled food burnout. Burgers, dogs and sausages – repeat, repeat. It also helps that I have been trying to add fish to my family’s diet at least once a week.
Even better, as fancy as the name sounds, these sandwiches actually comes together pretty quickly. You can make the aioli the night before, season the salmon and throw it on the grill for a quick, new weeknight meal.
Salmon, Bacon and Avocado Club Sandwich with Citrus Aioli
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless salmon filet
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 4 green onions, sliced in half lengthwise
- 12 sliced whole-grain white bread
- Unsalted butter
- 8 slices low-sodium bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Add the mayonnaise, juice and zest of the lemon and lime to a small bowl.
- Cut lemon and limes into thin slices and reserve for later use.
- Season citrus mayonnaise mixture with 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Whisk well to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
- Pre-heat grill to medium heat.
- Place half of the lemon and lime slices on a large piece of aluminum foil that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place salmon on top and season with 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, parsley and dill. Spread green onions evenly over the top.
- Crimp all edges of the foil to seal the packet.
- Grill for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through.
- While salmon cooks, brush bread with a thin layer of butter and grill directly on grates until golden brown.
- Remove salmon from grill and let rest 5 minutes. Slice into bite size chunks.
- To assemble, lay out four pieces of bread and spread with some of the citrus aioli. Top each piece of bread with some salmon, 2 bacon halves and avocado slices. Top each with another slice of bread. Repeat the layering and top with a final slice of aioli shmeared bread.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.