I love these tacos because they are delicious and made in a crock-pot! Normally, when I make pork tacos it’s during the warmer months and I’ll let a beautiful pork shoulder go low and slow for hours on the grill. But, with winter in full swing I needed to come up with an option that could cook indoors and while I was at work. Thus, my crock-pot. These tacos taste just as good as my summer time slow roasted ones, but they’re way less maintenance…a big win in my book! Give these a try the next time a taco craving hits!
Pulled Pork Tacos with Homemade Slaw
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 3 – 3 1/2 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- Corn tortillas
- Hot sauce
- Mix salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and white pepper in a bowl until well combined.
- Remove pork from package and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub spice mixture evenly onto the pork.
- Place pork, fat side up into crock pot. Add garlic and onion. Cover and cook on high for 6 – 8 hours or low 10 – 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Toss dressing with cabbage and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- When pork is done cooking, remove layer of fat on top of pork and discard. Shred using two forks. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, heat corn tortillas over medium heat on the stove top for several seconds until soft and pliable.
- Add some pork to the tortillas, top with coleslaw and some hot sauce. Serve immediately.