It seems fitting that I’m writing this post as thermometer currently reads -11 degrees Fahrenheit here in Illinois. I developed this ridiculously simple and equally delicious recipe several years ago for my wife on Christmas morning. She’s requested it every year since and it has become our traditional Christmas morning drink. Normally, I make white hot chocolate, but this year, I was trying to watch the kids open their presents while preparing our drinks and I accidentally added peppermint extract instead of vanilla. Turned out to be a happy mistake because it was equally delicious as the original.
Mint White Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (or vanilla)
- Whipped cream for topping
- Place milk and white chocolate chips in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until white chocolate chips have completely melted.
- Add heavy cream and peppermint extract and stir until hot throughout.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream.