The other night my wife and I made this killer chili con queso dip. We both agreed it was too good to be served with store bought chips, so I decided to make some homemade tortilla chips. And, why not, really? For the cost of a bag of Tostitos, you can make chips that are 10 times better and compliment any dip perfectly. Homemade chips do take a bit more effort, but everything homemade does and in the end, it’s always worth it. Serve these chips at your next tailgate and score big before the game even begins!
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- Kosher salt
- Pour oil into a medium-large skillet. You want the oil to be about 1 inch deep.
- Heat to 350 degrees over medium heat.
- While oil heats, stack tortillas on top of each other and cut into 6 equal wedges.
- When oil reaches 350 degrees, add 8 – 10 tortilla wedges.
- Fry for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring often, until lightly golden.
- Remove from heat and place on a wire rack on a sheet pan.
- Season immediately with a hearty pinch of salt.
- Continue until all tortilla wedges are fried.
- Serve immediately or store chips in a container with a paper towel along the bottom. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Before serving, heat in a 350 degree over in a single layer on a sheet pan for 3 – 5 minutes.