Making taco seasoning at home is really easy and is much healthier than using a store bought packet. Most store bought mixes contain way to much sodium and preservatives. Plus, you probably already have all the spices you need in your pantry. With school back in swing, easy and quick weeknight meals are a must. Having this taco seasoning on hand can turn a package of ground meat into Taco Night in a jiffy. This recipe makes enough for about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, turkey or whatever ground meat your little heart desires.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. chopped or minced dried onions
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ***Ingredients for Use***
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat of your choice
- 1/2 cup water
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- When ready to use, add vegetable oil to a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add meat and taco seasoning.
- Break up meat as it cooks. When meat is about halfway browned, add water and continue cooking until meat is cooked throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with taco shells and toppings of your choice.