Chicken thighs are a great weeknight option when you want a fast and fool-proof meal. It’s virtually impossible to over-cook them and they are very low maintenance. In this recipe, I whip up the marinade and sauce the night before. When I walk in the door from work the next day, all I have to do is light the grill, throw on the chicken and brush with sauce. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Quick Homemade Barbeque Sauce
- For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- For the Barbeque Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Place all marinade ingredients, except chicken thighs, in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Pour marinade into a re-sealable plastic bag and add chicken. Move chicken around to make sure marinade is evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours, turning bag over several times to make sure all pieces of chicken get an even coating of marinade.
- Meanwhile, combine barbeque sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring often, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-low heat.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- When the grill is ready, remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Grill, covered for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- After 20 minutes, brush chicken with barbeque sauce. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes, brushing both sides of the chicken with sauce frequently.
- Remove from grill, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest minutes before serving.
Tagged: apple cider vinegar, barbecue, barbecue sauce, BBQ, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, chicken, chicken thighs, chili powder, crushed red pepper, grilled food, grilling, ketchup, paprika, summer food, worcestershire sauce