These sandwiches are perfect for a warm summer night. The chicken can be made a day ahead and either re-heated or served cold day of. Invest in a good, quality French bread, it makes all the difference in this recipe.
Fresh Mozzarella Chicken Pesto Sandwiches
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto
- 3 tbsp. good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 loaf French bread, split down the middle and cut into four portions
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub chicken thighs liberally with pesto and place in a shallow, foil lined pan.
- Baked for 30 – 35 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss spinach with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with pinches of salt and pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Thinly slice chicken thighs and reserve any pan juices.
- To assemble the sandwiches:
- Brush the insides of the bread with some of the chicken pan juices; about 1 tbsp. per sandwich. Layer the chicken, mozzarella, then tomatoes. Season tomatoes with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Then add the spinach. Repeat with remaining bread.