I’m baaack! After a wonderful week-long vacation in Disney, I thought I’d ease back into the grind with an easy dish that would please kids and adults alike. This dish is a rip off of Hamburger Helper. Yes, I said, Hamburger Helper. Let’s face it – we’ve all had it and we all think it’s pretty darn delicious. The problem is, with the exception of the beef, the entire meal comes from one preservative filled box – something that everyone should avoid. So, I took the general idea of Hamburger Helper and made it fresh. It came out tasting delicious and is much better for you. Is it fit for a dinner party? Probably not. Is it a tasty and fast meal that will satisfy your family? Most definitely.
Easy Cheesy Beefy Macaroni
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly black pepper
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) block cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Add oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add turkey, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and brown turkey, breaking up meat as it cooks.
- When turkey is cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter over medium heat, scraping up any cooked bits from the bottom of the pan while butter melts.
- When butter is melted, add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until onion is softened.
- Add flour and cook 2 – 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add milk and whisk continuously for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add cheese and whisk until melted.
- Add reserved beef and macaroni. Mix well to combine and everything is hot throughout.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.