Unfortunately, I’ve haven’t been feeling 100% the past couple days, so posts have been slow and the warm weather is slowly making its way out of town. Sickness and cool weather mean only one thing to me – soup! I love soup – all different kinds – creamy, veggie, meaty, cheese covered with a slice of french bread underneath – and it seems every time the calendar turns from summer to fall, I make soup more often. Today, I decided to make something a little richer since I wasn’t feeling well. This creamy, cheese studded soup was just what I needed.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups total)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3 1/2 cups medium cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, onions, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, until incorporated.
- Add the broccoli, water and stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, working in batches, if necessary.
- Return to the pot, over low heat, stir in milk and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and continue to cook, stirring, until the soup thickens, about 5 more minutes.
- Adjust seasonings, divide among bowls and garnish with bacon.