A simple, hearty and delicious recipe for biscuits and homemade gravy. I used store bought biscuits to save time, but homemade would work just as well too. I’ll do another post in the future with my best homemade biscuits recipe. In the meantime, fill your belly with this weekend breakfast staple.
Biscuits and Homemade Turkey Sausage Gravy
- 1 tube store bought, refrigerated biscuits
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Pre-heat oven and prepare biscuits according to package instructions.
- Place turkey, salt, black pepper, sage, thyme, rosemary, sugar, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Gently mix to evenly distribute the spices.
- Add oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add turkey and break it up as it cooks.
- Cook for 5 – 7 minutes until turkey is cooked throughout.
- Sprinkle in flour and mix until meat is evenly coated with flour.
- Whisk in the milk and cook until desired thickness is achieved, about another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as necessary.
- Spoon gravy over warm biscuits. Serve immediately.